Local authorities, residents, and Ibuka, and an umbrella organization of genocide survivors have come together to exhume a mass grave thought to be having the remained of around 5,000 victims of the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
Testimonies of genocide survivors said the exhumation of the mass grave recently discovered in Kiziguro read began on Tuesday and the exercise could take up to around three weeks.
The pit which is said to have bee dug in the ’70s for water supply, is estimated to be 30 meters deep and the exhumation had been delayed to prepare relatives of the victims.
The authorities appealed to the citizens with information that could help identify undisclosed mass graves of the genocide victims to present themselves.
- Rwanda Okays Cannabis Farming
- Rwandan genocide suspect Félicien Kabuga arrested in France
- Burundi’s Ex-President Gets Life Sentence For killing Former Leader
- Zimbabwe Approves Law That Criminalizes Protests
The remains of the genocide victims are still being discovered in most areas in the country for the last two decades after the genocide that killed over a million people mainly from the Tutsis ethnic community.
Between 2018 to 2019, around 118,049 remains of victims were discovered in 17 districts across the Eastern African country, according to the National Commission for the Fight against Genocide.