Company Producing Electric Blanket That Fried Moses Kuria’s Legs Defend Their Product, Reveals Cause Of Accident

KEY POINTS

  • Korean company - Ceragem - that produces electric blanket that burned Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria has come out to shed light on their product.
  • Ceragem Ltd is a global healthcare company that deals in a range of automatic thermal therapeutic products like electric blanket. 
  • Moses Kuria got in trouble while warming himself with an electric blanket developed by the Ceragem company.

Korean company – Ceragem – that produces electric blanket that burned Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria has come out to shed light on their product.

Ceragem Ltd is a global healthcare company that deals in a range of automatic thermal therapeutic products like electric blanket.

Moses Kuria got in trouble while warming himself with an electric blanket developed by the Ceragem company.

The Gatundu South MP was admitted at Karen Hospital on September 27th after the accident with his electric blanket left him with serious burns requiring a long hospital stay and an even lengthier route to recovery.

Kuria did not feel the severe burns for a while and did not get treatment immediately. Some patients with such dangerous burns require amputation of the toes and or skin grafts.

Kuria’s treatment has not been disclosed, but the MP underwent at least two surgeries since he was admitted at Karen hospital.

Ceragem company came out to speak on their product following Moses Kuria’s accident that has seen him spend weeks in hospital.

The company issued a statement apologizing to the Gatundu South MP, saying that they are saddened by the incident that has made Kuria to stay in hospital for a couple of weeks.

Ceragem also explained that the likely cause of the accident was Kuria’s pre-existing health condition. They said the blanket was bought by the MP’s friend and that they were not aware of the lawmaker’s condition.

“We are saddened by what happened. It’s not our intension for our products to be harmful to users… The device which was bought by one of the friends to the honorable MP, and we didn’t know prior if he has pre-existing health condition,” the company said in a statement.

Ceragem’s researcher Martin Mulwa asserted that the incident that happened to Moses Kuria was an accident, he stressed that all of the company’s products are always in good condition and have been approved by the Kenya Bureau Of Standards (KEBS).

The electric blanket that burnt Kuria is sturdy material with an internally integrated wiring system that provides warmth and heat through coil wires.

The blankets generally plug into the electrical outlet just like any electric device, and can be set on different levels of heat.

However, electric blankets are designed to create a warm and cozy bed but are not recommended for overnight use.

The electric blankets are safe for short-term use, and although unlikely, they have the potential to overheat if used incorrectly or for a prolonged period.

With Ksh3,900 you can get yourself an electric blanket when you are looking for a way to keep warm. The price varies from Ksh3,900 to as high as Ksh20,000 sold through various platforms in the country including online sellers.

But just like any electrical appliance, heated blankets can be a fire hazard. Experts estimate that an average of 5,000 house fires are caused by electric blankets across the world annually – occurring mostly due to either manufacturer fault, improperly installed wiring, or faulty control units.

Related: Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria Speaks After Undergoing Surgery

Stay Connected
50,930FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe
Must Read
Related News