Nick Mwendwa has officially resumed his duties as the President of the Football Kenya Federation(FKF), days after writing a letter to FIFA president about the same.
On Tuesday, Mwendwa, in the company of several individuals as well as police officers, proceeded to open FKF offices based in Kasarani. The offices had been under lock and key for close to a year.
Addressing journalists at the venue, Mwenda expressed hope that the FIFA ban on Kenyan Football will be lifted in a matter of days and that the national Football teams will soon be back in the field.
“I expected that the Kenyan ban would be lifted within days. After that Harambee Stars and Harambee starlets will be back on the field by October. It is almost a year, our national teams could not participate in competition because of few people who decided that they are powerful,” he said.
The Embattled FKF boss further said that his focus currently is on two things.
“A government that respects Kenyan youths and would want football to go back to normalcy. Our major focus is to ensure the ban is lifted. Secondly, all the Kenyan leagues will commence officially a month from now,” he said.
He added that he does not recognize the existence of the Football caretaker committee that CS Amina Mohammed put in charge of the game after disbanding FKF last year. Former KTN news anchor Linda Oguttu is among the member of the caretaker committee secretariat. CS Amina’s move to disband FKF saw Kenya banned from football by Fifa.
“We only have one FKF, not two. There are those who have been posing as FKF for almost a year. Let them continue that, its okay, but for the football that is recognized by the world’s football laws, I have told the youths to go back and train. If you are an official at the grassroot level, start planning for the League ” Mwenda said.