Uganda reported their first case of the pandemic coronavirus, COVID-19 early this week and since then, the number has grown exponentially to 14 after confirming five new cases.
Joyce Moriku Kaducu, Uganda Ministry of State for Primary Health Care said on Wednesday that two of the new cases are Chinese nationals while the other 3 are Ugandans.
Officials said one of the patients is an eight-month-old baby in Eastern Uganda, whose father traveled from Kenya recently.
“Humans crossing into Uganda from the different border points are prohibited going forward.” President Museveni said on Twitter. “This is until we find coordination at the East African level. Please stay where you are. We are not against anyone but this is about manageability,”
President Museveni has since closed all the borders in Uganda with no one getting in or getting out of the country in a bid to contain the spread of the coronavirus, COVID-19.
On Tuesday, Mr. Museveni said he is still assessing whether to ban public transport as part of his government’s efforts to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
“Now, the only remaining thing is public transport. That’s what I’m still struggling within my head. If you don’t have your private means of transport, don’t use public transport. Stay at home.
“Where are you going? I’m thinking of having temperature monitors at disembarkation and embarkation points of these public means of transport. I don’t want to ban them but I’m trying to discourage you (citizens) from using them,” Mr. Museveni said while addressing the nation after Uganda’s first confirmed case of Covid-19.